The Spring 2021 deadline is
April 1st, 2021 @ midnight
What is a Broadside?
A broadside is a beautifully designed, one sheet publication featuring a piece of literature, art, or both! For the Fall, Temper will be considering poetry, prose and art to be published in a small series of well-crafted broadsides. All submissions will still be considered for the Spring magazine. Also, a submission in the Fall will not disqualify you from submitting again in the Spring. Don't be afraid to send something our way!
Why submit to Temper ?
Being published in a collegiate literature & arts magazine is an accomplishment. We usually accept around fifteen percent of our submissions. Not only will you have the chance to see your own work celebrated on paper, you will also share pages with some of the best artists and writers on campus.
We consider poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, photographs, paintings, drawings, 3D work, and more. You must be a JMU undergrad to submit.
Make sure to read our submission guidelines and publication agreement before sending us your piece.
You may submit up to 5 pieces of literature and 5 pieces of art a semester. You may also submit up to 2 art series a semester.
Submit at the bottom of the page
Things to know before submitting:
1) All prose– short stories and creative non-fiction– should be under 2,000 words. We may consider submissions exceeding this limit, although they are less likely to be published. Additionally, for Fall broadside submissions, work closer to the 500-750 word mark is preferred.
2) All poetry must be under 90 typed lines, line breaks not included. Any submission exceeding this limit will not be considered for publication.
3) Art should be sent as a TIFF or JPEG with a resolution of at least 320 pixels per inch (PPI). If you’re unsure how to change your resolution, here is an intro to PPI, and here is a video tutorial on changing your resolution in Photoshop.
4) We get hundreds of submissions each semester, so be prepared to wait about a month after the deadline has closed before we send you an acceptance or rejection.
5) We will send you a confirmation email once we have your piece. If you don't receive one within a week, feel free to contact us at , or through the contact page. If you find a submissions form has broken, you may also submit to .
Art Series Submissions
We are now accepting art series submissions. These should be a collection of unified art that consists of up to 10 pieces. They do not need to be the same medium, but they must be united in some way, whether that be theme or subject matter.
You may submit up to 2 series. This is separate from the 5 individual pieces you are allowed to submit. Please submit your work as a Zip file. Within the file, each individual work must be named by title, or we will not know what order to place them in.